Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dr. Wes Allen

Personal history – Dr. Weston Allen


..... I attach a photo of Lois and myself
on our honeymoon in a caravan on
Reg Brinsmead's farm at Banora Point
on 15 December 1967 ....


I married the lovely Lois Taylor in December 1967, and we took our newborn son to Invercargill a year later for my 5th year work experience at Kew hospital. After my internship at Maryborough, and locum work in my home town of Gympie, I established a busy general practice near our home and hobby farm at Many West.

After further studies in exercise physiology at UQ in 1974, and six weeks in the USA in 1976, attending Loma Linda and Berkley and visiting the doyen of stress testing, Robert Bruce, I developed a comprehensive health assessment and prevention program (Total Health). For the next five years I conducted programs for the general public, for clergy, teachers, executives, government departments and the Family Medicine Program around Australia.

Then, after Lindy Chamberlain’s conviction in 1982, I spent the best part of four years campaigning for justice, organising public forums, rallies and fund-raising dinners, printing fact-and-fallacy pamphlets, coordinating Queensland supporters, doing media interviews and lobbying politicians. I was a member of the Chamberlain Innocence Committee (including former justices Sir Reginald Scholl and Frank Gallagher, and artists, Pro Hart and Guy Boyd) that presented new forensic evidence which helped to reopen the case.

Other miscarriages of justice were then brought to my attention. In the early 1990’s, I found myself doing some novel blood spatter work that reopened the case of Alexander McLeod-Lindsay, wrongfully convicted in 1966 on evidence from the same NSW forensic lab that had bungled the Chamberlain case. Like Lindy, he was later exonerated by Justice Trevor Morling.

After dabbling in alternative medicine for many years, I became a convert to evidence based medicine, and an educator and examiner for the college. In 1997, I helped to establish a large multi-disciplinary clinic at Many West and, in 1998, obtained a post-grad diploma in physical medicine from the University of Sydney.
After many years questioning my faith, I spent the last few years of the 20th century re-evaluating the bible, its contradictions and anachronisms, and how it came to be written and compiled. I read many books on the subject, and on archeology, mythology, ancient and church history, evolution and astronomy. This exercise expunged the last traces of my fundamentalism. In recent years, my research and skepticism has turned to the new green religion with its apocalyptic climate change alarmism.

In 2001, Lois and I joined the sea change and moved to a quieter pace of life on the Tweed Coast to be closer to several of our four children, and five of our seven grandchildren. Every couple of years, we spend time in Poland with our second son, his Polish wife and two children. Steve, seven times world champion windsurfer and far better know in Poland than Australia, still competes on the lucrative European circuit and ‘Dances with the Stars’ in Poland. When not renovating his house, in which we live, I work part-time for a small Coolangatta practice and as a director for the Tweed Division of General Practice.

Life, learning and growing in understanding, often through conflict, is always a challenge and mostly a lot of fun.

___________________________________________

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Doctor is a very approachable, knowledgeable person and not only on medical matters, will always find time for a chat before looking after my various problems expertly. He also looks one in the eye whilst talking to me, a practice sadly going out of fashion these days. Harold Green Tweed Heads West.