Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Kevin Deburg Photographs and Life Sketch

Kevin de Burg Photographs ........

He is lecturing in chemistry the Science Department at Avondale College and couldn't make it to the Reunion. He sent this message and photographs to everyone: He said in an e-mail to me:

Dear Ken,

I have been trying desperately to arrange my timetable and program to get away this weekend but unfortunately have not had any success. However, I am sending you a page of memories, information, and reflections for the weekend. This is attached here. Am also sending you 4 photographs in separate emails to use as you wish. These are as follows:

  1. My 1970 graduation photo
  2. My picture at the 2005 Avondale graduation ceremony (Oh the effect of years)
  3. A picture of Marian and I in the 1970’s
  4. A picture with our grandson Benson

With kindest regards,

Kevin
________________________________
Life Sketch ....

Remembering QUSDAS friends and some thoughts since 1970 or thereabouts.

Kevin de Berg

When I started study (BSc) at the University of Queensland in 1967 I greatly appreciated the friendship and spiritual nurture of people like David Mee Lee, Geoff Catton, Winston Craig, Max Brinsmead, Nonie and Chip Hedges and subsequently a host of other good friends like Marcia Corrigan, Ken Aitken, Wendell Rosevear, Tony Truscott and Jim McNeill. I have very fond memories of QUSDAS camps and University conventions and still remember great laughs in doing skits with Max Brinsmead. I wish you all well (and there are many more friends I could mention) this weekend and regret I cannot be up there with you all. Here is a small life sketch since QUSDAS days.

In 1971 I started work as a high school science and mathematics teacher in Kingaroy and in 1975 gained a Commonwealth Postgraduate Award to return to University to study for a PhD in physical chemistry from which I graduated in 1978, 30 years ago now. I married Marian Hartley who worked at the South Queensland Conference office at the time, in 1976. We have two daughters: Deanne who works as an assistant accountant in the treasury of the South Pacific Division Office in Wahroonga Sydney, and Sharlene who is married to Ryan Hayton (USA) and lives in Detroit Michigan. Ryan is doing his surgery residency at St. John Hospital in Detroit.

Last September Sharlene and Ryan blessed us with a grandson (our first grand child). We have lived in Brisbane (1975-1979), Toowoomba (1979-1984), Darwin (1984-1988), York England (1988), Cooranbong since 1988 with a 6-month stint on sabbatical leave at Purdue University in 2004. Since my 9 years of high school teaching I have been involved in tertiary education, particularly in chemistry. I have been on the lecturing staff at Avondale College since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy the experience and the opportunity this gives to work with other academics overseas from time to time. Marian works in the Ellen White research centre at the college.

Avondale College was my first introduction to denominational work and I cannot think of a better place to have commenced such work. I thoroughly enjoy the opportunities for dialogue with our friends from the theology faculty and other faculties across the college. I have found it to be absolutely necessary to maintain contact with professional colleagues in other institutions and from other faith positions to keep some sort of balance in one’s life.

Like many of you I am sure I found the early 1980’s very disturbing but have managed to work my way through some of the issues. Arthur Patrick has given many keen insights into this period and has been so helpful to many of us working through these issues. Fritz Guy and his book, 'Thinking Theologically', have been a great blessing as well. I have found an increasing openness of the church to wrestle with new ideas although I think we still have a long way to go in the science-religion issues of the day. I am involved still in taking Sabbath school lessons at college and do preaching from time to time.

By the way, if any of you know of people who might be interested in lecturing/researching in biological /organic chemistry or mathematics lecturing/researching at Avondale please let me know. We have vacancies in these areas. I am so keen to know what all of you have been doing since the 1970’s. Please let us know of your journey. I am sending some photographs (past and recent). God bless you all. Have a great weekend. Kevin

_______________________________










__________________________

No comments: